Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals and Sustainable Development's 16th Annual General Meeting
Date : 20-22.10.2020
Time: 8:30 to 11:30 EST / 14:30 to 17:30 CEST.
Location : ONLINE
Theme : Mining and COVID-19: From Crisis to Sustainability
Sessions will include mining sector trends and government responses deriving from the current health and economic crises. In addition, sessions will explore the future of mining and how the sector can transition from the current crises to sustainability.
Day 1 | Tuesday, October 20
- Introduction and opening panel
- The future of mining employment and skills
- Building resilient communities: Can we leverage impact investing mechanisms?
- Global standards for environmental and tailings management
- Global mine closure needs: Government and industry responses
Day 2 | Wednesday, October 21
- Responding to COVID-19 in the ASM sector
- COVID-19 and the future of responsible sourcing
- Mining, climate change and COVID-19: How the pandemic has impacted climate action
- The future of resource taxation
- Regional sessions (in French and Spanish)
Day 3 | Thursday, October 22
- Community engagement
- Opportunities for greater gender equality: Assessing gendered impacts of mining before project development
- Technological innovation in a post-COVID era
- Clarifying the role and scope of environmental and social impact assessments
- Closing remarks
A detailed agenda will be announced shortly.